View Single Post
Old 01-10-2024, 07:00 PM

Default Oil Pressure Canundrum

Ok so I've read everyone's preference and opinions on gallery plug and pressure requirements for different duty but unfortunately none of these are MY dilemma. 455/474 Stroker no bypass valve, blocked off by Butler plate double remote filters with 170° thermostatic controlled oil cooler w/Fan and a ONE PIECE rear main seal, pretty sure there is nothing better to seal crank, as far as I know anyway. I have a Mallory Comp 9000 dist. so not too worried about the gear. I know that the pass galley plug is in it and NOT drilled. OK so, it's a brand new STOCK melling oil pump and upon startup there's over 80psi of oil press with 5w-30 royal purple. Now I know what your thinking, but it's not ok to push oil past the main seal and on to my FST twin disc clutch or even into the bell housing at all $700+ for that unit plus aluminum flywheel and hyd. throw out.
Soooo, first what is causing excess pressure? after warm up 35lbs. Second, would drilling 0.30 hole in galley plug drop pressure any? Obviously there are many knowledgeable folks on this site sooo, what do you think.