View Single Post
Old 01-10-2024, 04:54 PM

Default Engine resto advice 400/62 heads

I have a 69 400 4spd we are currently restoring. After sitting in our garage for years, we have decided to hire a shop to do the restoration because we are way too busy. Trying to decide a few things -

1. The car is numbers matching engine, never restored. We want to do a mild street build, do we build a separate block and leave the numbers matching engine untouched in the event of resale etc?

2. The motor. The motor is a 400 with #62 heads, unrestored. I have a spare set of #62 heads that were redone by a machine shop 10 years ago, but were never installed and put in storage. The heads had a comp cam kit installed, and were not ported. From my previous research, i understood these were great heads. In talking to one local resto shop they disagreed, and recommended I dont use these heads or cam kit at all.
- If I use the heads, what combo is recommended for the motor? I currently have a comp cam to go with it, 502/510 lift hydraulic roller. If I use this set up with a 400, would you take it to a machine shop and lean on their advice for what to order for the short block? I know the brands etc I need but I dont want to order anything that can not be used.

3. What would be a resonable price for the motor work, swap machine work etc on something like this? the local shop quoted us at 10-12k just to do the motor and swap it, along with everything that goes with it (oil pump motor mounts etc...) My husband thinks this is a little unreasonable, I am not sure.
(cross posted)

Thanks in advance