View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 03:04 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I read this before, that's why I’m confused, so someone put a couple pistons in backwards. So, it was just re-ringed with stock pistons or bored with new pistons or just a couple of pistons were changed. I guess it doesn’t matter, just wondering if its stock bore.
Mikes reply:

We measured and found them to be stock bore.

This motor was rebuilt in 1968 and the mechanic put a date on it 2/2/68 or (2268), the forum is aware of this and the consensus is that is when it was built for race purposes and was used in moon shining later in its life. This motor, when built in 1968 for racers, was completed with the Tri-power Cam #588 and the Tri-power Intake. Mostly racers knew that you could buy these parts, over the counter, in those days. As a matter of fact, race rules in the day require that by rule, you must use factory parts in stock class, only.

Seven Pistons were in backwards and the # 2 Piston was the only one to be installed correctly. # 6 Rod is in wrong because you can see the squirt hole in the photo and you are not supposed to according to the man that discovered the error. It is presumed that the builder swopped the Pistons from side to side in the same Journal, as they would do, back in the day for race purposes. The pistons would have maintained the wrist pin and rings this way. How things got messed up is a mystery. Perhaps we might discover the "why" of it all, soon.

Until then, we (myself and the forum) have found an error in the 1967 shop manual drawings of a piston orientation that could have contributed to the error, when seen by a mechanic, trusting too much in the factory manual.

If you have time, please go through my Threads, because all this stuff about Piston slap was discussed in full and it explains "why the racers reversed the Pistons," on purpose.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 01-08-2024 at 03:20 AM.