View Single Post
Old 01-07-2024, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my webber intake manifold back with the injector bungs installed for intake manifold #4!

Someone on Facebook commented about it would be interesting to use a cam housing as plenum and it looks like a funny DOHC engine, haha.

Been doing other engine related work as well. I wanted to go back to a conventional flow cooling system, still electric, though so I removed the pump shaft and impeller. I want to put a metal core plug in the pump eventually, but for now an expansion plug does the job. One issue with the current EFI manifolds I have is the fuel rail interferes with the stock water outlet, so I cut some plate steel and hose barb to make one that will work with my current manifold. This will remove the two 1" water lines going to the head around the turbo and not require special core plugs.

Put a couple of 1/8th ports in the exhaust before and after the turbo to measure exhaust back pressure. Talking with folks that measure it they recommended expansion blocks to dampen the exhaust pulses before the pressure sensor. So with some scrap metal I put these boxes together with some steel wool in them. Pretty crude, but some black paint and they'll disappear into the engine bay. I'll run some steel brake line from the exhaust to the boxes.

I also made the external oil pump pick up line. It should tuck nice around the motor and frame mounts, but if I find when I get it in the car that its in the way, I'll run some 90º fittings over the top of the motor mount. This was done for a couple of reasons, one is with the windage tray I added a spacer so the pickup would of had to been extended downwards, two the baffles I put in the oil pan to keep the oil in the sump would of been further complicated working around the pickup, three the main studs didn't have provisions for the pickup tube bracket. It also allowed for a larger pick up to the pump.

I also drilled a hole in the belt cover to accommodate the fitting to the block's oil main galley. I wanted to be sure it would comfortably clear the balancer, which it does.

And lastly I was tired of buring my hand or arm reaching down around the turbo exhaust to check the oil. Since I needed to extend the oil dipstick anyways, I decided to raise the dip stick tube as well as add an o-ringed dipstick to control oil. The first picture is the before, with the stock dipstick tube.

Raised up for easy reach.

I added a pull down spring just to be sure it doesn't go anywhere. It blocks the old water inlet port so its good I'm moving away from that configuration.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)