View Single Post
Old 01-06-2024, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just because a particular brand and or set of rings will work with your bore size and allow the needed gap, a ring is only the right size for a ring groove when the ring can be pushed in and hide in the groove no more then .005” at room temp.

If your build has more then this amount then you have the wrong rings be they gap less style or not.

I am sure by the posted about new motor blow by conditions I see posted on this site and many others that all too many home assemblers and even shops that build motors do not make this simple check and address it!

Speed pro offers ring groove shim stock for 1/16” and 5/64” rings in a .018” thickness to crutch this bad situation.

Also if your running used pistons’ and especially cast ones, if your top to bottom ring groove clearance is .004” or more then that’s a mess also in terms of blow by .

To me now with the further details that the OP has posted about his motor I think his block has quite a few bores out of round making for his issue.

I hope I am wrong, but if his engine builder saw this he never should have allow the motor to be re-ringed and slapped back together when it needed to be bored.

I once worked for a shop and when the owner of a motor that was in such a condition wanted to go the easy cheap route he then signed a form that released the shop from any liability.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 01-06-2024 at 11:17 AM.