View Single Post
Old 01-03-2024, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Before you test your parts car wiper motor, I suggest you open it up and inspect it. They pack those old assemblies with grease that is almost solid now after 50+ years. Just cleaning the poor thing out, getting all that nasty old grease out, cleaning the contact points on the switch work in the motor, making sure everything is free to move is all that's necessary most of the time to give you years and years of service. That's all I had to do on my 62 Catalina. The car didn't have a wiper motor when I bought it and I cleaned up a good core and it's perfect. Components were high quality and heavy duty back in those days. That wiper motor had a larger armature than a new Honda starter!
I actually opened up the frozen one last night (the one with the now broken off stud)

I managed to get it unfrozen with the use of a vice and my hands gently rotating it until it was all free. Just slid the worm gear back so the center section was free to move and shimmied it slowly until it had full range of motion.

I probably won't get to it until the weekend, but Im going to test that one. If I can make it work, I think Ill try to weld a good stud on and let the parts car keep its own motor. It didnt look overbad on the inside, the grease was all still gooey, but I did spray it all out with some electronics cleaner.

I did have to get the drill out on the screws, but countersunk phillips screws are about as easy to drill as it gets.

Im not sure how to keep the brush in place while I put the rotor/stator unit back into the housing. There is usually a slot on starter brushes where you use some mig wire or something.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports