View Single Post
Old 12-30-2023, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
This was a block I found and decided to build it.The shop thought we should bush the lifters.This block was a discarded block.When the bores were machined some of the bores blew out.The shop found granite tubes correct diameter and was able to weld them back up.After,the remachined and the bronze bushings were installed.After fixing other casting issues the block was built and still lives a good RA V life.They make fixture that fits the valley to locate the bores properly.Tom
The most popular fixture for this purpose is the BHJ Lifter True machining kit. It does a nice job, but like all specialty fixtures, there is a considerable buy in cost. The basic kit is universal and around $4000.00. Then you buy a step-up kit for every engine family you want to machine for bushings at an additional cost of $1000.00-1500.00 depending if the lifters are in line or off-set like a BBC. Then you need the core drill and reamers and a bushing hone. The fixed stone hone is around $1000.00 The core drills and reamers around $300.00. Then the bushings at about $15.00-18.00 each. It's an expensive ordeal to install 16 bushings. If done in a vertical mill, it will need to be trammed-in before use and you need a mill with a riser. Start to finish it's a full day of work to install a set of 16. I have never done 16 on a Pontiac stock block. I have done 8 iron aftermarket blocks and 3 aftermarket aluminum blocks.