View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCho455 View Post
I wish the PO of the 64 Galaxy I bought back in 82 would have flushed the 352 with something, at some point.

It was an ex-police car so it probably had good maintenance in its early years. By the time I bought it I was very tired. I paid $200 and negotiated for a full tank of gas. Then I drove it for several weeks before I pulled the engine, transmission, and rear axle and installed them in a 52 F-1. I rebuilt the engine before installing it in the truck.

When I pulled the valve covers there was an almost perfect casting of sludge under the inside of the valve covers. The sludge in the top end was inches thick in places, and not one of the rocker arms was visible. Each valve operated in a small hollow area that allowed the oil to drain to the valley.

The lifter valley looked like the badlands of South Dakota. The oil pan was so full I would be surprised if it held more than 3 quarts. I rebuilt that poor old FE after spending a week cleaning parts. It was a good runner afterwards but, oh man, what a mess!
Mikes reply:

I believe that from my researching oil in the past, that is Paraffin, a wax substance in the oil that sticks to everything, even under parts like my own Intake manifold. I learned that when you change the oil every 3500 miles or so this will happen very little.