View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
When I was in the Airforce back in 1973, I had a nice 67 GTO with an HO engine, PS, PB, AC, TH-400, his/her shifter, a very nice car. I put in a quart of engine flush and followed the instructions. Drained it and put in fresh oil and filter. Right after that I spun a rod bearing, I don't think it was a coincidence. I would never use any engine cleaner after that, commercial product or home brew. After that I picked up a 455 short block from a wrecking yard installed it with all the factory 400 stuff and it ran great and hauled ass and all was well.
Mikes reply:

It is ironic that you said that because it just happened to me.

I once put a solvent type cleaner in the H2O system and it caused the Hot water heater element to leak in my current 1992 B-250 Van, but you must remember how rotten and used these parts are and certainly cleaning the rust out of metal, there will be a thinner wall left, goes for Aluminum Condenser units to.

As my motor goes, I won't discount that cleaning the engine for the second time using Trans. fluid, kerosene, diesel fluid, etc... sped up the process, but it did not cause it. The motor has unknown miles on it and was rebuilt differently from factory specs for race reasons, in my case. In other words, it was going to happen anyway.