View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
Filling an entire crankcase with ATF or kerosene is a little extreme and will probably do more harm than good. I am a believer in Marvel Mystery Oil and have seen it work as claimed many times over. I’ve used it many times in the past to quiet a noisy lifter or to clean out a high mileage engine but within reason. Trying to clean out an engine caked up heavily with sludge is looking for a miracle. I have noticed if I add a bottle of MMO to my oil a hundred miles before an oil change that the oil comes out very black so it is cleaning something out.

A neighbor of mine was the original owner of a 1970 Nova. Just a 350 2 barrel that was his daily driver up until he passed away in 2005. He managed to put over 230k miles on that car. As he got older, I would help him work on the car, tune ups, oil changes etc. One time as we were changing the valve cover gaskets, I remarked that his heads were amazingly clean for such high mileage, almost spotless. He told me that he had been using MMO in every other oil change since the car was new. I have seen many high mileage well maintained engines in my life that got oil changes at regular intervals but never one as clean as this.

As for the engines in my classic Pontiacs I never add anything but high quality, high zddp oil. I put very little miles on each one and I change the oil every year.
Mikes reply:

He could have used one qt of ATF and it would have done the same thing. JMO