View Single Post
Old 12-28-2023, 07:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
From what I've read about ATF & seen in analysis tests is that ATF is actually much lower in detergents than normal oil, because ATF is only a hydraulic fluid and not exposed to internal combustion engine byproducts it does not need or have high concentrations of detergents & basically no or very low anti wear additives that engine oil has. So, ATF will not clean an engine anywhere near as good as regular oil will.

ATF may keep parts "wet" & if there is pressure it may keep bearings from touching moving parts, but with no anti wear or real lubricating properties the high wear & extreme pressure areas like cam/lifters do not have the needed protection, they are under full force of the valve springs the minute the engine is cranked over, & for 30 minutes straight the cam/lifters have basically zero protection. Same applies to other fluids like diesel or kerosene or raw fuel, they might be good cleaners but have no lubricating or anti wear properties and should not be ran full strength in any engine IMO.

Hopefully the comments & poll results (zero for pure ATF) will show that ATF has no place in an engine and does not clean anywhere near as good as engine oil or other products intended for that purpose. I noticed the last comment on the TH400 thread is now questioning if using pure ATF may have caused or contributed to the mystery noise in the engine... :google:

Here is a recent Blackstone analysis of Dex 3 ATF to show its make-up, notice the low detergents & very low phos/zinc & other anti-wear additives.

TAN: 0.7
Visc. @ 210F: 48.8 SUS
Water: 0.0
Insoluble: Trace

Aluminum: 0 Test by Blackstone Labs
Chromium: 0
Iron: 0
Copper: 0
Lead: 4
Tin: 0
Moly: 0
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 0
Boron: 58
Silicon: 9
Sodium: 1
Calcium: 27
Magnesium: 2
Phosph: 159
Zinc: 17
Barium: 0
Mikes reply:

Your thorough in your research I'll give you that and persistent.

Keep in mind I did not do this, a Trans. Mechanic did. He ran a Vehicle with ATF for 300,000 miles and it was as clean as the day it came out of the factory. Argue with that and call him a lyer, I am only the messenger of the good news.

Would I try this in my car, the answer would be "NO", for 30 min., it does work and I can attest to it.

Case and point for those of you who did not read this before in my thread.

I used the ATF- treatment on a Ford Van and it cleaned out the Engine that we had just bought and we used it for about a year. When I sold it, the person was driving home and the oil light came on. It turns out that the oil pump needed to be replaced. So, luckily for me that I dushed out the Engine from the start and got a year out of it.

Most of what I have read works, it is up to you what method to use, all of them work to some degree. I have not heard of any that hurt an Engine, even Gasoline, scary...