View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Back in the 60s in my area guys would run 50% oil and 50% naptha for say 15 minutes on a lift, then drain it and put new oil and filter in. Never seemed to hurt any of their engines. But the deal to me is that no factory chassis book I have ever read says to do something like that, so why do it?
Factory manuals werent written with high mileage or poor maintenance engines in mind. I dont think using a mild engine cleaner if needed & following the instructions is a bad thing or will cause any damage, seafoam for example is like 1oz/qt, that wont harm the engine or weaken the oil enough to cause harm for the short time its ran. IIRC seafoam uses 25-35% naptha along with other mild ingredients for cleaning.

ATF on the other hand has zero additives that engines need, even used for 30 minutes it is not protecting the engine at all, the cam/lifters are under constant full forces, literally grinding the surfaces against each other with no protection at all. Looks like using pure ATF is now being questioned by the guy that used it if it may be causing the current noises...

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: