View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Running too cold with 180 stat?

Did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. What thermostat brands are yall using?

I installed a 180F robert shaw knockoff from a parts store over the summer. I had overheating problems, engine would run 210 with a 180 thermostat on the interstate. I flushed and flushed and flushed a lot of gunk out, changed from electric to mechanical fan with a shroud, and threw the parts store thermostat back in. Ever since then, the SOB has been running cold. Like on a 65F day, it's running 150-165F, with a 180 stat in it. I've never had a pontiac run this cold. I can tell it's cold because the idle oil pressure is way higher than normal after a run. My issue is that it's making carb tuning a chore. The AFR a motor wants at 150 is NOT what it wants at 185F.

Is the thermostat likely stuck? I got a moto-rad 180F replacement, but when I made stat soup in the kitchen, it wouldn't open below 190F! What brand are yall using?

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25