View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
x2 thinking its not a cable issue, i use stock cables on the same comp 455 for 10+ years with no issues.

I would check/clean the connections & grounds first, then look at the starter itself, especially the solenoid. Have had bad solenoids act the same way.
I checked all the connections and grounds. I thought the ground on the cylinder head might have been the problem because it had some corrosion, so I cleaned it up with a wire brush and sandpaper and re-assembled with dielectric silicone grease and no change - still clicking.

I just had the starter and solenoid off (I removed it when I pulled the trans) and all looked nice and clean and fresh as I reinstalled.

It would be easy enough to pull the starter and replace the solenoid and double check everything. I don't want to load up the parts cannon unnecessarily, but no big deal if I end up with a new solenoid.

I think I'll still replace the cables with 2 gauge. Won't cost much and that'll give me an excuse to use my fancy crimping tool.