View Single Post
Old 12-02-2023, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"Good info cliff, can you comment on why the HO intake was down 10hp from the iron? I thought they were basically the same intake just the HO is made from aluminum?"

It's just not a very good part from a how it was cast perspective. Instead of sending the Chinese something they "cleaned up" and spent some time with, it appears they sent them a completely stock intake. The originals had pretty poor port alignment, and the re-pop was HORRIBLE. I spent some time tring to straighten it up some, but it just wasn't made very well.

I did open it up under the carb to look exactly like my "modified" iron intake and the RPM.

Since I "modified" the intake some folks cried "foul" with the testing, oh well. At least I didn't TIG them up and make the runners bigger, and raise the flange over an inch. Aside from opening them up under the carb and a port match to the intake gasket the runners were pretty much as-cast.......FWIW....

Sorry my mistake, I overlooked the part that said the HO was a repop intake... Ive heard and seen pics of the repops that were pretty bad, plus from my understanding they used a SR intake with the shallow plenum floor for the repops vs original production HO intakes.

Pretty sure the original production HO intakes were the same castings as the iron and when either is ported by SD they are great intakes that can support up to 600hp according to SD.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: