View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am posting this as a public service and a warning. Back in July when I started this thread I was hoping for some response. Since there was no response, I went ahead and became the Guinea Pig and sent my SD-455 OE booster to Power Booster Exchange, (formerly Booster Dewey) in Lynnwood WA. Transaction started out well enough with an E-mail and a detailed quick response from them outlining all the wonderful things they would do including a new Zinc Di-chromate finish. The refinishing was the only thing I actually needed. The booster was in perfect working order when I sent it out and held vacuum for weeks or longer.
Initially, they said it would be a 6-week turnaround time because the re-plating would take a little longer. I was fine with that. I waited 2 months and gave them a call. Annie Mae. (SP) , is the only person I have spoken directly to at any time. After 3 months and no booster and no real reason given, I began to call every 3 weeks to see what the hold up was. Still extremely cordial and trying the sugar approach hoping to just get info and my booster back.

After 4 months, the BS excuses began in this order; 1. the housings have not been returned from the platter. We will follow up, 2. We have all the pieces now, just waiting for assembly, should just be a few days. 3. We assembled it and it will not hold vacuum, we will re-work it and test it. 4. It still won't hold vacuum, has a tiny leak we can not find. We are ordering some new parts. 5. The parts are on backorder. 6. We have the parts now, it will be assembled tomorrow. 7. The technicians who do the assembly are on vacation. 8. We have it reassembled and it is still leaking, we don't know what's wrong. 9. We have a senior technician who is a expert. He will be working on it and find the issue and repair it.

Finally, after 5 1/2 months I call again. Annie Mae tells me "I am glad you called, it is all fixed and ready to ship". At this point I should say that NEVER did they call me about anything. I always had to call them. So like an idiot, I took them at their word and they shipped it back to me for $370.80 charged to my credit card.

I get it back here to the shop and open the box. It is the same booster I sent in. I had engraved tiny initials in the housing in a hidden area to make sure. I hook it up to a vacuum source to test it before installation. It has a GIANT vacuum leak in the control valve area. We are not talking a small or tiny leak. It is a giant hissing noise like the vacuum line isn't even attached to the booster.

NO WAY IN THE WORLD it was ever tested in any way. It won't function as a booster and will not hold vacuum for 1 second. I should mention again it was in perfect working order when I sent it out. Now, they have my money and refuse to answer the phone or E-mails.

So PLEASE don't send anything to this company unless you just have $370.80 to throw away. I am disputing the charge with my credit card company but don't expect good results. The guinea pig got his bacon fried. Don't become the next victim.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: