View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes reply:

I have to ask, why would a Piston being installed backward for as long as it has and under my own torture, that I put on this Engine, endure to 130 mph. Where I found all the internal problems and solved them over time. In the beginning the Rocker stud nut was cracked and I replaced them with 7/16" screw- in studs , because I was bending the Factory Push rods. While there, we installed the Johnson Hydraulic Lifters, a new oil pump and HD Chrome moly Push Rods, had a new timing Gear and dual chain. I drove for about four years testing and tuning.

The # 886 Cam was worn out, but who knew at that time. I had the Tri-power Carbs. completely rebuilt, by us OfCourse, using genuine Rochester parts that would have come in these Carbs., from the factory. We installed the 1/2" spacers under the Rochester's too. We had Air Induction as well and the Carbs. are up-jetted to a 428 ci Motor. So, this combo. at 70 mph, stomp on it, the secondaries come in with the kickdown gear, working at this time, in synchronicity with the stock 13" Torque Converter and I launch from 90 mph to 120 mph. Throwing me back into the seat and then it moves slowly to 130 mph, tops. Now, all of you can tell me that I need to build the bottom end of this Motor, today, now?

I believe that the noises that I experience today, that I am eliminating one at a time successfully, I might add, will not beat me and if they do and all of you were correct, I will have to apologize. I am not afraid to build this Motor, I have the tools and the experience. I would use a Machine shop, where needed, because they have the tools that I don't have.

I tell you this Engine is a monster and I still carry extra weight in the trunk due to the posi-traction W/ four-wheel Disc Brakes.

By the way, when we removed the Cam # 886, years after we flushed the Motor with the ATF, the Cam Bearings did not have sufficient ware on them to be replaced and that is what I base the lower end on today, Crank Bearings, being as well of course. The Cam Bearing in the middle, had one light scratch in it, taken out with light scuff pad. So, we installed the new "041" Cam using the existing Cam Bearings.
FYI- Rebuilt heads do not need "breaking in", there are no parts that need mated together like cam/lifters or rings or bearings.

Can you clarify the timeline of when you installed the new johnson lifters? Based on what youve posted and lost deep in the paragraphs, it looks like you installed the new lifters on the old "worn out" 886 cam, hopefully you broke them into the cam properly... but more importantly you then mention installing the new 041 cam but no mention of new lifters, did you reuse the lifters you installed on the 886 cam?

Are you adjusting each rocker arm or just cranking the nut to 20lb/ft? Did you check the geometry or wear pattern on the valves? With the rebuilt heads and other new valve train parts, teh factory 20/lb/ft may not be whats needed.

Zinc in oil is a combo of zinc/phosphorus, called ZDDP, it is an anti wear additive along with many other additives that are only in engine oil, not ATF, & they are VERY important for high wear areas like cam/lifters, even a few minutes without those additives in the oil, will cause major wear between those surfaces... 30 minutes without any engine oil would be terrible for cam/lifter surfaces & other internals... surprised nobody else mentions that. Thats great you think the bearings were OK visibly, did you measure the clearances of the cam, rod, crank bearings? or just look at them?

Still waiting for a video of the engine noises so we can actually hear whats going on.

Last edited by 78w72; 11-23-2023 at 11:07 AM.