View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Well what I'm saying is, when I do stuff like that here, I just don't do the bare minimum I can get away with and hope the rest will last me the next 25 years.

With these 50-60 year old heads, I just won't run a pair on my engines unless they've been completely gone through. That means new seats, a good set of stainless one piece valves, machined for positive seals, new springs and retainers, all new guides, a nice valve job etc..... That's just how I approach every build here and likely why I have a solid success rate.

I've never been one to just replace the 2 guides that are worn, reuse the old valves and hope the other 14 guides and 2 piece valves last another 100,000 miles. Yeah I might get out of there with a $500 set of heads but I'll probably have an oil sucker that has to come back apart in another 2 years, or worse.

This isn't knocking how some of you choose to do things, I'm just explaining the how and why. I know some have budgets and that's just how it is.
That is why I went the route I did with used ported heads. Someone else paid for all the upgrades and I picked them up for 1/3 the cost to have the work done myself.

The shop I used said the heads are in good usable shape but will be going onto a new bottom end and wanted a baseline. As such they got new full bronze guides, viton seals, and a valve job for years of pleasure. When my guy asked who built the heads he indicated that they are a nice performance head and saved myself quite a bit of money.

The 995 springs even checked out but he raised the install height to set the closed pressure to match the cam I intend to use. $1600 all in Canadian (<$1200 USD) was including the heads, machine work, my gas to pick them up, taxes, the two Tim Hortons coffees I bought during the deal, ect. When I say "all in" sales guys hate it because I really mean "all in". Especially the new car salesman 😁

As already mentioned, look for the deals as they are out there. You have to look for them though and avoid the home porting unless they come with a flow sheet.