Thread: Exhaust Stench
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2023, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all.

The odor is just a very strong exhaust smell. Not like gas fumes. But strong enough to be repulsive. It takes 30 minutes to clear from the garage with the door open.

Jeff (Shaker455) fixed a vacuum leak in the APT adjustment on my carb, added bypass air, tuned it for my engine and altitude, and tested it with an A/F sensor. I haven't touched it and won't until I can drive it on the highway and get some hours on it. I'm very happy with the way the car idles and drives around the block.

So far, responses have focused on the carb mixtures. Given the carb has been tuned by a pro, I was looking for other ideas... and I have a few. I'm going to adjust the choke. The fast idle is not working. Hopefully that's just an adjustment. I will revisit the gasket but it's new and came from Cliff so I doubt there's a vacuum leak.

Effect of timing is a possibility and something I can revisit. Engine is 70 350, 11 heads (7.8 CR?), Summit 2800, 71 intake, QJ w/ divorced choke. TH350, 3.55 rear. Ported vacuum advance, mechanical advance attached.

I don't know condition of engine internals but guess it's worn. To everyone's point, I need to drive it and get some time on the engine. Meanwhile, I'll be happy it's running and keep focused on getting it road-worthy.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	623012