View Single Post
Old 10-31-2023, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
The guy at Quick Performance said that most of the companies still making ring and pinion sets for the aftermarket don't put a specified pinion depth on the gear like in years past and it's left up to the installer to get it right based on his experience and looking at the pattern. I don't know how true that is but that would explain why it's not marked on the set in my car.
LOL yeah that's not going to cut it. They have to have a pinion depth either in the instruction sheet or marked on the face of the pinion. You can't get it spot on just looking at the pattern. If that's what is relied on then you're going to find a whole bunch of brand new noisy gear sets, just like the one you have.

I'll give you a head start. When I'm setting up a 12 bolt I find that on the first try with the pinion I'll start with .030" of shim. This generally gets me in the ball park plus or minus a few thou. But it's going to take a pinion depth gauge to check it and set it where the manufacture states, and if it doesn't state it anywhere in the box or on the pinion, I'd be sending the gear set back because that's just completely unacceptable to me. They lap the gears in, they know where they want that pinion set. Sounds to me they are just trying to wash their hands and remove any liability from the numerous install mistakes and come backs blaming the gears.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE