View Single Post
Old 10-23-2023, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What was used for valve seals on your heads, the Blue Viton type like pictured here?

There are a bunch of these around now that are packaged wrong, they are for 3/8” stem valves and not 11/32”!

I guy I just ported a set of heads for fell pray to this with the same issue your having.

I myself for another set of heads almost fell pray to this.

I got a set of seals from a local machine shop since I appended to be there and when I got home and opened the bag they where wrong also.

The ID of the right size seals Viton seals for 11/32” stems should measure.311” to .312”.

The symptom goes like this.
All is well until the oil starts to heat up and the intake valve stem starts to get hot.
Then the motor starts to puff out the exh at idle, and of course while running, but it does not seem quite as bad as at idle since it’s being burned near as fast as it’s coming down the stem.

2) If you did not use these types of seals and your using stock retainers, but no stock metal splash shield then if you left out the little rubber O-ring that seals off the bottom of the retainers then you will have a oil smoke issue also.

Also what heads are you running?

3)!Aftermarket heads when port on the roof can break into the rocker stud hole and then if you do not seal those threads the intakes ports will suck oil thru there.

4) Another oil usage condition can come from the number 2 ring being put on the wrong way.

Then it scrapes oil up into the chambers instead of down into the crank case.

There have been known cases where the second rings where marked wrong for
Proper installation.

I pray this is not your case!

I would pull the intake off first and see if and how wet the valve stems might be.
Pooling oil on the backside of intake valves that are closed make for a sure sign of valve seal issues.

Now a question.

You say this is a street motor yet you are running gas ported pistons , why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8892CBBB-6B61-45F0-8E98-B2EB0DD5C95D.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	622128  

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 10-23-2023 at 06:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post: