View Single Post
Old 10-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 400 dies in gear

I have a ‘69 400 in my ‘63 LeMans. The car has the original transaxle. I had it running pretty good this summer after I took a junk Quadrajet off and replaced with a known good one.
A few months ago it started to die when I would come to a stop. It was acting as if it had a vacuum leak. I went through a couple cans of carb cleaner spraying the intake and carb areas while it was running. I had a buddy bring a smoke machine over last night and no leaks found. Not even in the long vacuum line that runs back to the transaxle.
Timing is set at 9 BTDC , which is factory setting. Timing mark rock solid, no mechanical advance at idle.
I can turn the idle screw up and up, and it will still die when I put it in drive. When it was running well, I could have the RPM at about 850 in park, and it would drop down to 650 in drive and idle all day. Now I can have idle way up at 1100 in park, and will still die when put in gear.
Just checked A/F mixture screws at it’s got 15-16 on vacuum gauge at idle.
So what next? Bad torque converter? Rebuild a Cliff carb? No problem but I hate to get into this without knowing exactly what the problem is, I’m just guessing at this point.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.