View Single Post
Old 10-15-2023, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy11 View Post
Yep I’ve tried vinegar too. The flash rust following it just always seems so much more instant and aggressive than other options I’ve tried.

I’m hesitant with muriatic because of the potential destruction. Part of me is always thinking if the rust is that bad I probably need to replace that area anyways. I keep meaning to try citric acid again. I used it years ago for other purposes (de-scaling hard water deposits in hazardous waste treatment systems).

I switched to the bristle discs when I swore off using wire brushes forever. I loved how the wire works but had to many close calls finding pieces of wire imbedded in my neck and arms hours after using them lol. I always could be more proactive and protect more than my face and hands but I always worry about our dogs picking up a piece of it if I track some inside from our garage. To me, the purple bristle discs do everything the wire wheels do and more. They are so agressive on paint, filler, and primer yet I feel like I would need to stay in one spot forever to really remove steel.

I did a little more last night and like the system I have now I think. Knock off the top of any scale that looks converted so the liquid can assist, then alternate between spraying with Sprayway and essentially wet sanding with 80 or 150. If I’m not going to go further on that spot for a day or 2 then I give it a quick wipe with Ospho to protect.
You mention SPI and OSPHO.
Im guessing youve read all about the trials and tribulations and what the procedure is to use both products successfully.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post: