View Single Post
Old 10-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Definitely understandable, but also just one more thing that starts making a modern LS/LT more attractive.

It's probably better at this point to have everything sourced through your machine shop of choice...and hopefully they aren't cutting corners.
Yeah so long as low mile LS engines are available it's a viable option. Once age and mileage sets in we are back in the same boat.

What you said is how I am doing my current engine and how I've done them in the past. I gave Paul the block and crank, everything else is bought new and I wanted Paul to pick and choose what would be best ( ie: rods, pistons, rings, bearings, valvetrain parts etc..) Tell me how much money he needs and I pay it.

I look at it this way. I'm getting a custom engine with parts that I know someone as experienced as Paul is happy with. He's been around long enough to know better than me what is good out there and what is not so good. In the end I feel I get a better product, Paul is happy he's working with parts he knows to be a good foundation for what our goals are. It's not a cheap way to do it, but I'll know what I have when it's done and I trust Paul to do a top notch job on the machine work, it'll make good HP and it'll be reliable. In my opinion it's better than a crate engine.

The key here though is having a machinist you can trust that you know pays attention to the details. Not one that just pushes stuff out the door because it's "close enough" They are few and far between.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE