Thread: Blowby and PCV
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2023, 06:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I tend to think thinner oil wouldn't help that situation if you're having a blow by issue, which is kinda what it sounds like.

If it were mine I'd do a leak down test to at least get an idea how healthy it is inside and if you see an issue with the test, it'll give you an idea as to why you have oil pushing out of your PCV and crank case breather tube.

More times than not when I see that it's typically crank case issues, ring seal going away, etc....and a leak down will verify that.
I agree about the thinner oil and I'm just just being optimistic that this will solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25
Smoking out the tail pipe at idle when at normal engine temps is mainly due to failed valve stem O-rings.
If the motor every ran on the hot side band then sat through a winter then there done!
I also think that the use of products like Rislone drys out these O-rings.

One thing you can try which does work to help ring seal is adding a can of a product called Restore to the motor, but be sure to install a new oil filter at the same time.
It is not really smoke but looks more like steam so I thought maybe a head gasket so that is why I checked the plugs. It has no smell and I have gone through a head gasket leak before on a different car; you can smell the coolant in the exhaust. The car has never overheated and always runs between 165 and 180. Your comment about the valve stem rings could be correct, unfortunately.

I have never added any aftermarket products to the oil in the 9 years since I purchased it and have done consistent oil changes.

I just did an oil change and have not run the car yet so maybe a can of Restore is a good idea; I would just have to remove a bit of oil. Before I do that though, I think I am just going to run it and see if anything changed. If not, The car will go up for winter soon anyway so I will try the can next year.