Thread: Blowby and PCV
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2023, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Blowby and PCV

I have a stock 400 equipped '76 Trans Am and as of late, I have noticed excessive blowby. If I pull the crank case breather tube off of the breather, you can see smoke coming out of it and checking the little crank case filter in the breather, it is oil soaked. I removed the PCV valve hose from the front of the carb and there is oil in it and appears to be entering the carb.

I checked all the spark plugs and they look good; slightly grey in color with no black or sticky tar.

I removed the PCV valve and shaking it, it rattles so I think that is normal?! The hose being used for the PCV valve to the carb is a heavy 3/8 line and is not collapsing.

The other thing I noticed is a slight bit of smoke, from time-to-time coming out of the right rear exhaust tail pipe but that is very infrequent and I only noticed a few days ago while it was at idle.

The oil is not milky (head gasket leak) or watery (wash down) and it is not too full either.

I have been reading post about excessive blowby and PCV but I want to start simple and maybe replace the PCV valve but I'm not sure if it is bad or not. I currently don't have access to do a pressure test on the cylinders.

Any help is greatly appreciated.