View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird69 View Post
I went ahead and ordered an Allstar Performance ALL30095 nylon fan that appears to be a rebranded and exactly the same as the Flex-a-lite. It was 93 degrees here the day I ordered it but now only low 70's so I may not get another chance to properly test it this year. I do appreciate the suggestion because it looks good and inexpensive.
It is an excellent piece, I first started using one in 1978 when I had problems with my 69 GP 428 dirt track car cooling. It was one of a few suggestions made by my very well respected local radiator shop owner, that I used when I had my garage, and service station business.

His father started the radiator shop, and he was the second generation owner. My father also preceeded me, owning and operating his own auto repair garage, and our fathers knew each other very well.

The material the fans are made from is a fiber reinforced injection molded piece, so they are strong, but a little more forgiving in a crash when they get in contact with the radiator, such as what frequently happens in short track racing. The blades have a tendency to break, rather than saw a hole in the radiator core, like a metal fan does. You'll never probably test that property, but I had occasion to a few times. You could still repair the tubes with a composite fan, whereas a metal fan would completely trash the radiator.

The blades also tend to flatten out slightly at speed, but when coming back to idle they go back to the nearly 90 degree pitch and pull a huge amount of air at low speeds, and idle.

Hopefully this, along with overdriving the waterpump with a smaller A/C style pulley, and the fan will get you where you'd like to be as far as engine temperature, when the ambient temp, and humidity are on the high end.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated