Thread: 1970 yz
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2023, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
Mine is a formula 400 1 of 293 and im.too scared about stroking it and blowing up block.and boring it .60 over. I was even hesitant on .20 and requested honing. I did a 2.5 year date code find of missing sub parts and did it. Local.shop and friend are telling me roller cam, roller lifters,I want forged rods and roller tips too. With custom.dish pistons and a .40 quenche. Hardened value sears then other guts are saying just eliminate all roller stuff. I have a standard 331 and on freeway it will be at about 3k at 70 mph. So im.worried about that too. Maybe just stock build and dish pistons add zinc. Yes im.confused and don't plan on racing it. I want to built it and give it to my only daughter as it was her father's and grand fathers
Love this!

I'm curious, why not just fire it up as is? I understand it sat for a number of years, but if it was never fired after a thorough rebuild, I say why not try?

I know others will recommend against this idea, and of course it's your decision. But I would certainly try first.

A good pre-oil, some new cam break-in lubrication on the lobes (since it's HFT), and spray a bit of oil in the cylinders to free up the rings, then rotate it over by hand a number of times in the process. When you're satisfied it will spin, hit the starter!

I have fired and driven many a 'stock' engine that has sat like this for decades. I wouldn't hesitate to try and fire yours as is.

Worst case, you have to pull it and rebuild it. You're talking about doing that anyway. Why not save the money up front and give it a shot? You may just have a running/driving car next week?!

Incidentally, the 428 in my wagon was fired up after a 42 year slumber. And it wasn't exactly properly 'pickled' when first stored. It hasn't been apart since Pontiac built it in 1967. Sure, it needs rebuilt, but it has needed that rebuild for the last 15,000+ miles. Eventually I'll get there...

Best of luck!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post: