Thread: 1970 yz
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2023, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Yz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Would be a neat build. 400hp is doable, would make a fun street car.

When I built my 70 RA III many years ago I kept it at stock specs with a few little tricks so the car would fall into the Pure Stock rules. I have fun racing it but it's primarily my daily driver.

With that said I had to keep compression pump gas friendly (91 octane) so I did have the flat tops machined for a slight dish. I don't remember the CC off the top of my head but with the #12 heads I ended up with 10.13:1 compression. I run the factory 068 camshaft per rules and it's been fine on pump gas for the last 25+ years. It's gone a best of 12.70's at 106 mph but usually runs very low 13's in the heat with 3.31 gears. The combo really could use more gear but it's a driver first, fun car to race second.

My guess is it probably makes around 350-370hp at the flywheel. Made 301 at the tire on a chassis dyno. So not the 400 hp you're looking for but for what it is it's a ball to drive. If I strayed from the rules a bit 400hp is doable with this setup with a cam change and a few tweaks.

https://youtu.be/er1z7PpqsnY
Mine is a formula 400 1 of 293 and im.too scared about stroking it and blowing up block.and boring it .60 over. I was even hesitant on .20 and requested honing. I did a 2.5 year date code find of missing sub parts and did it. Local.shop and friend are telling me roller cam, roller lifters,I want forged rods and roller tips too. With custom.dish pistons and a .40 quenche. Hardened value sears then other guts are saying just eliminate all roller stuff. I have a standard 331 and on freeway it will be at about 3k at 70 mph. So im.worried about that too. Maybe just stock build and dish pistons add zinc. Yes im.confused and don't plan on racing it. I want to built it and give it to my only daughter as it was her father's and grand fathers

The Following User Says Thank You to Ramairnacho For This Useful Post: