View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Curious why 20/50 race oil is used on a roller cam engine thats not a race engine? What is the benefit to using a thick race oil on a street car? In iowa weather? In a month it will be highs in the 60s-70s with morning lows in the lower 50s or upper 40's, yes we had a heat spell and hit 100 a couple days, but even then a good quality non race oil is perfectly fine in those temps, especially a synthetic if you plan to use mobil 1.

Everyone uses the brand & weight they like, but for the most part ive read & been told to use a thinner oil with hyd roller lifters, SD performance said to use a 10/30 with the comp hyd rollers in my engine so did comp & my engine builder. Nobody suggested a race oil or to use 20/50 for a engine built with common street clearances.

I did the bigger ball & shim on a melling pump, using 10/30 i get about 80psi on cold start, drops to around 50-60 normal cruising, idle is about 30 fully hot. I usually use valvoline or other normal brand synthetic oil, lifters are all but silent, pressure is good & i feel a lot better not using overly thick 20/50 in iowa weather.

There is no benefit to using too thick of oil, most guys go with the 10psi for every 1000rpm rule, yes a little more at idle makes you feel good but a street engine will live a long life at ~10/15/20psi at idle. 60psi at idle is very excessive IMO.