View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO-relic View Post
I put a fresh 455 in my GTO back in December 2021, went through same thing, but with electric pump. I always ran an electric at the tank pushing into a mechanical pump on street engine. Combed Ebay found NOS vintage mechanical pumps, and bought a good one replacement for SD455. also a few SD421 stock pumps as spares. all USA made. then tried to buy a made in USA Carter electric pump self regulated 6.5 psi which I always ran on street cars since 1985. no dice. there ain't none. bought the made in China "Carter", it ran but pumped no fuel right from the get go. then it worked, then didn't work. so I removed it. what a POS. I had already known about the poor quality Chinese parts. every thing in my engine is NOS old USA made parts off Ebay or message boards or friends who still had it laying around. Cam, lifters, head gaskets, SD455 oil pump, bearings, everything. there is a difference, reliability, and superior metallurgy. another thing I noticed is all the vintage Pontiac NOS stuff I had in my saved items on Ebay, it eventually all sold....so everything is realizing the same thing. we have a parts chain with schit parts quality from China
This is EXACTLY what I have been saying for years!!! Most of the Chinese stuff is junk and won't last!! Then you hear the BS about NOS pumps are not to be trusted because they are old!! OK, so let's trust the Chinese stuff instead?? Come on people, that is insane!! The real reason people don't go NOS is the cost of these parts!! Cliff R commented on this and said he's had numerous cheap customers try the Chinese fuel pumps 3, 4, or more times then throw in the towel. and go in a different direction!! I agree here. The cost of NOS parts is very high but as I mentioned before, these parts get sold quickly for obvious reasons! It is a personal decision, but if you have a rare/original ride, I would think you would want to use as many factory parts as possible!!!