View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I have sound deadener on the floor and plan on putting it on the doors. Where else should I put it?
Ok, try to remember, the sticky tar mat is sound deadener, and does little as a thermal barrier. Will start by saying this.

Floor and doors are the biggie, but you should try to get as much as possible on the interior side of the firewall too. That's not always that easy, just try to do as much as possible.

Since you have a dash 'substructure', cut strips and stripe as much as you can of that. On the gauge insert, just try to make sure there's not a lot of loose wire and stuff. You can zip tie loose items/bundles, just don't pull the zip ties tight, leave them a little loose.

Doors, make sure all the lock & latch rods have the 'sock' on them, or use some other method to reduce rattle, like maybe pieces of vacuum tube or something. Those rods slide, so make sure they still move freely after. You can use short piece at strategic locations, you don't have to cover the whole rod(s).

The rear seat inner panels make a difference too, try to get some on those areas. You can cut strips and lay them on the inner wheel well too. I only go from the highest point forward to the floor, so you can't see it from the trunk. You can do the back part if you don't care about seeing it in the trunk.

I do the trunk floor, which for me gets covered with the trunk mat. Trunk floor helps reduce any drone from back there.

The rear package tray can be covered some, and helps. On the trunk divider, I used DynaLiner (thermal barrier) on the trunk facing side, it helps control the metal bracing resonance, and og course, thermal intrusion from the trunk.

I used DynaLiner on the doors and floor too. I used the thinner stuff on the door to ensure the door panels fit good, and thicker on the floor. Used a medium one on the firewall where I could, and on the package tray top.

I stripped off all the glued on matting from the carpet, trunk divider, and package tray so that would all fit better.

The sticky mat controls much of the resonating sound at 65-70% coverage, and the gain between that and 100% has little return. So don't kill yourself trying to get full coverage. The important part is to make sure it's as stuck as possible to the panels. (I do a quick wipe with acetone before applying).

I didn't do the roof in the A-bodies, since the sticky mat can droop from the roof getting hot. They make lightweight foil stuff, but I didn't bother. Your call there.

You can do the underside of the trunk lid if you want, but I didn't bother for the same reasons I didn't do the inside of the roof.

Cut out holes for the hardware, like seat & belt bolts and interior panel clips, it will save frustrations when you go to install stuff.

You can check people's build threads on how others have done it, or search YouTube for tips.

Aside from other mods I've done to cars, sound & thermal control is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post: