Thread: eye cataract
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2023, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found out what is wrong and your retinas are good.

I wouldn't over-worry about cataract surgery. Ask your doctor for the statistics. My guess is bad outcomes are very unusual.

For me, it was painless and healed quickly. I call it a weird experience to be aware of what was happening and not care... but I'd choose to repeat this procedure over any other surgery I've had.

Life-changing improvement applies to me too.

I had lenses implanted in 2008 and they still work well.

My bionic lenses correct a 7 diopter nearsighted mess with astigmatism (worse than 20/500). After the surgery, I woke up for the first time since 3rd grade being able to see without glasses. I could not stop smiling for days.

I was warned I might need a laser zap in a few years if a membrane clouded and I did. Again, nothing to worry about. This was 1 minute in a chair and done. Just don't do it with hearing aids in your ears, as the laser discharge EM pulse will couple and you'll think you got shot. Ask me how I know this...

The only down side is my bionic lenses are so rigid they cannot compensate for distance. I need reading glasses for anything less than about 3 feet away, but still see 20/30 or better beyond that. I had reading glasses before the surgery and that would have continued to get worse anyway so I am not upset. I had an option to choose "flexible" implants but they had other risks I chose to avoid. This technology has probably improved since 2008!

Good luck with your decisions.

Mike