View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
My post wasn't about trying to impress everyone with your vast knowledge about aviation the FAA and NDT that doesn't apply at all to a Pontiac crankshaft or about my engine failure. Get lost.
Experience with Pontiac Crankshafts.

I have sold 14 short stroke (3.375" stroke cranks made by Kellogg (a forging house that made special cranks for Pontiac/Tom Nell.

Moldex finished each one of the cranks for the Pontiac people who bought one from me.

'All Pontiac' sold crankshafts (made from Chinese Steel) that was checked out for "Dirt" in the forging by Ford Research. Compared to several Pontiac suppliers stuff, the material was about 96% clean steel.

Moldex billet cranks made from Ball Bearing Timkin steel was about 99.5% clean high grade steel.

The cast pontiac cranks were good castings but not up to the level of a forged
421 SD or 303/366 Forgings.

In my experience, clean steel (even if it is 'off shore') is everything).

The O*IO Cranks are down on the list vs most stuff. But it is a Pontiac dimension crankshaft.

For Years Moldex and Crower made excellent cranks. (and still do)
Bryant cranks, $$$$) also makes very good clean steel cranks, (they buy the same steel as Moldex).

So while comments from others are better than nothing in selecting a good steel crank, You must pay if you want an exceptional Pontiac crankshaft.

(I still have 4 Kellogg 366 steel forgings (RAW) that are designed for a 3.375
stroke engine. I sold 14 cranks (finished by Moldex) over the years.)

Cast cranks are only capable of a given number of cycles. THEN THEY FAIL.

Just Saying.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: