View Single Post
Old 08-01-2023, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW…The simulators like Stan gave a screen shot of generates symmetrical cam profiles. I have a similar program. If you want an idea of how a cam like a 702 or 703 Lunati act on a simulator like that retard the cam timing about 6* and run a sim and that will mimic how that Lunati cam will actually run, then run it again with the rated advance and take the highest HP and TQ from both. That is what I have found anyway, it’s because they have such long closing ramps on those cams, they are not symmetrical. The XE isn’t either, but the programs is closer on them than the Lunati Voodoo. The program represents the Summit cams pretty close though, they have some slight assymetric’s in their profile, not much compared to the others mentioned. Not that I have seen anyway. 2800 would drop in with the stock valve springs.

Even at .050” the Lunati voodoo cam shows a couple degrees of negative advance compared to the nose. It is one of the only flat tappet hydraulic profile that does that, degreeing the cam .050” down off the cam nose or from .050” off the base circle move the ICL quite a bit on those, just by measure from different points. Those also have 5* more seat timing than what is shown on the cam card, so they are much less aggressive than a Comp XE.

Comp’s XE is pretty hard to beat for building compression on something that is extremely low on compression. If you want the rough idle and big mid range push the XE’s do that pretty well. You could even go as big as a XE268 if it has a lower gear than 3.08s, more like a 3.73. With 3.08s you probably need that XE256 just like what the other guys mentioned.

I think the mid 70s 350 probably has more compression than 7.5, because if I recall right, it does not have the all the cylinder scallops and valve releifs other 350s have. It may have exh scallops on the bores? It is probably just under 8:1 if it has never been apart. If I was bothering with a cam swap I think I would use new valve springs and run the 702 Lunati, then advance it to 106. It would be a decent match up of street manors and top end power in a low compression 350 with a 4 speed and 3.08s. Probably no reason to go with the smaller 701 unless it was taller gears yet. The 702 would not care than much about the lower compression with a bit more advance.

Last edited by Jay S; 08-01-2023 at 10:39 AM.