View Single Post
Old 07-31-2023, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I've considered going with drag radials on the rear for street use. It seems pretty clear they'll give you better linear traction which would be welcome. Forgetting about cost, what's the downside? Cornering on windy roads? Driving on wet roads is not an issue for me.
No downside other than wet roads. They drive and corner just as well as any radial tire, you can't even tell they are back there. We drive through the mountains all the time with them. Both on the twisty switchbacks and on sections at highway speeds. Hell there are some weekends we put 300-400 miles in a weekend on those cars with drag radials on them.

Basically they are just there so that when I want straight line WOT traction, I have it. Otherwise for all other intensive purposes the car drives normal with them.

Yes they do wear faster but like I said, it's honestly nothing to get 4-5-6 years out of set, even with a track visit once or twice a year. Most of the time we are cruising the streets, not doing big burnouts (usually) or anything on the street that would wear them prematurely. In fact, on warm days, after driving on hot blacktop, they really don't need a burnout to hook decently on the street as long as the car itself is setup fairly well in the suspension department. Mine is pretty much ready to rock at any redlight without the need for any preheating which is perfect for those unexpected redlight excursions .

I'll add the only other downside is that if they get sticky enough they do tend to pick up the little pebbles on the roadways and you can here it in the wheel wells. I cringe at that a bit on a freshly painted car but that's also considering the roads around Arizona are typically a bit dirty/dusty with sand and small pebbles here and there. The desert South West is a bit worse for that type of thing. Roads were always fairly clean back East.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 07-31-2023 at 04:35 PM.