View Single Post
Old 07-28-2023, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Almost anything can be made to fit. I did my conversion during Covid and the Firebird shifter wasn't available. This looks like a '68 GTO shifter, it's not a '67.

I installed a repop '67 GTO shifter in my '69 Bird. I realize my floorpan and console is different than yours, but the GTO Hurst shifters are taller than all the Firebird shifters. Measure how much height you have inside the console and ask the seller to measure the shifter height. I fabricated my own mounting brackets. I had to weld a pocket in the trans tunnel so I could lower the shifter 1.5" to fit under the console. You might also need to change the shift lever on the trans. Shiftworks sells one for Hurst conversions. Their lever changes the operating angle at the trans so you can get full range of gears otherwise you might not be able to adjust it and end up with Park through 2nd, no low. You'll also need to weld a tab onto the new lever for your column back drive rod.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230606_174956.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	616915