View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default haulers

Had an 83 Isuzu diesel pickup for a while. It was not airconditioned & between the washboard country back roads & no AC, after a long day of pulling parts, it would wear me out. Bought the Isuzu after riding in, & borrowing on multiple occasions, a long time friends '81 Toyota diesel long bed. Both worked well on the country roads but at little over 6'2, the driving position left a lot to desire.

Eventually picked up an 80 diesel Dasher, it too would get phenomenal mileage. Only VW have ever owned. Was out of Utah, a fellow in St George totally went through it mechanically, & added an extra fuel tank in the rear spare tire well. Even with black interior, the AC worked well in front. I took the bottom of the rear seat out that helped filling the back up. With the sunroof back a few inches, & hood latch hanging down, hauled many an early GTO & Chevelle SS hood strapped to the luggage rack/roof. In so many respects, the diesel Dasher proved to be a better parts hauler than the litte Isuzu. When I finally parked the Dasher, did so as when I did venture out on the interstates it was dangerous in traffic hardly able to go 70 mph. Did make a great scout car/small load hauler, having sold an '80 dually, & eventully buying a new 89 4.0 XJ Cherokee Laredo, i rotated between the Dasher & the Cherokee with the Cherokee working well pulling parts cars as well as projects.

In 00, bought my early 98 12V Cummins Ram. While a great long haul truck, & much more comfortable to drive than the earlier stripped down small diesels, the Dodge is a long vehicle & its smart use is pulling. In 2019, gave the Ram a mild facelift & taller late model tire/wheel combo. New front shocks & upper ball joints are on the to do list later this month.