View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Forged rods besides aiding longevity add to performance and fuel mileage long term.

They are far lighter then the cast rods and this allows the motor regardless of its compression ratio to rev up faster.
The different I found on one build I did for myself was interesting.

I had planed on going from 2.93 rear gears to 3.23 like I had helped a buddy do the year previous .

I found that with the lighter internals of my new motor that it’s acceleration even with still keeping the 2.93 gears was so close to what I had found with a swap to 3.23 gears that I ended up just staying with the 2.93 gears.

Both of the motors I have discussed here where making within 5 to 8 psi of cylinder pressure of each other and basically weighed the same .

It takes note worthy less Hp to keep light weight internals spinning and since you plans are to drive the car far & wide your fuel savings will pay for the cost of the new and better Rods.

Since your going for new pistons and have to get a rebalance job done anyway, that’s not a issue to consider.

In terms of pistons you should not consider any forged replacements that use the stock high friction 5/64” ring size, you should be only looking at 1/16” or even .043” rings, and they should be of the gapless type .

This change will make for a nice reduction in friction, lower oil and engine temps and added fuel mileage.

In short everything your going to do to rebuild the motor which has to be done either way needs to be optimized by thinking thru carefully.
would it be even more imperative to find a shop with a pontiac torque plate if you use thinner rings?