View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Most of them were worked to death and junked, not too many have survived and the ones in nice shape that were actually taken care of are few and far between. I’ve owned this one since 1985 and have known its whereabouts since 1976 when a friend in my high school auto shop class first purchased it.

The 1950 - 1967 split windshield VW buses and their variants are highly valued and sought after these days. The value of my rust-free ‘66 Velvet Green single cab pickup is probably somewhere in the 40 to 50k range now. They’re quite versatile and can carry many things that other conventional pickups can’t. There’s a huge storage compartment under the bed (called the treasure chest) that’s accessible by one or two hatches depending on how the truck was optioned.

Last weekend I built a platform and bolted it down to the bed using the factory provided hold down points usually used for the original bows and canvas. I need to transport my 1957 bug body about 40 miles away to get some sheet metal work done on it, the platform allows me to have something to tie it down to and protect the bed floor.
Funny to see another air cooled VW guy on a Pontiac forum. I've been playing with those for years, son enjoys driving his 65 bug and is currently building a 2276 for it.

There is a fella in town that daily drives a VW truck just like yours pictured. I see it sitting outside a local business every day and catch him tooling around town occasionally. There are also at least 3 of those things I've seen restored that hit local car shows around here. They are very unusual but gaining in popularity. Typical to see more VW's out here in the desert South West.

To me it makes more sense to keep these old cars running and use them as intended. Way more cost effective than buying something new. Maybe for those that want a small truck it might make more economical sense to search out a nice small truck from the 80's or 90's, even if it seems expensive to buy a well preserved one, it's still cheaper than buying anything new off the lot and may be the route you have to go if there are no current offerings.
I haven't searched but there has to be some nice S-10's out there on the market.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE