View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually ran a 68 1bbl head, with bigger valves (can not remember what valves I ran off the top of my head, Single LS beehive valve springs, the CR was 9.2 to one so it ran well on unleaded premium 91-91 octane. I tried a custom grind cam (still have it somewhere) but I was not happy with the results, so I ended up running a stock H-Cam. I also dialed it in for torque with an adjustable cam sprocket. Beating my buddies Mustang stop light to Stop light was the goal, and that it did very well.
The picture of me on the road course was a Trans Am Reunion event at Waterford Hills MI, I was actually faster than the 289 powered mustangs that day, I was not faster than the 1970 TA or the Red Mustang coupe running a very nice 351. Those 2 cars lapped me. But the rest of the mustangs were either equal or slower than my Yellow 69. I impressed the Mustangs quite a bit. One of them came up and said he was wrong about laughing at my car when I 1st opened the hood. He was driving the Blue GT350 replica, we battled it out for a few laps, until I finally got under him going into one of the corners, then the torque coming out of the corner left him behind.
Non of the straights on that track are long enough to let the lack of upper end HP hurt me that day. It was a fun car, but you can't keep them all. The guy I sold it to mad a T/A replica out of it. Nice build, but kinda a shame. The engine went to a father and son in Alabama. I don't know if they have done anything with it. But they drove up one weekend to pick it up.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)