View Single Post
Old 07-06-2023, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Being from Florida, its a haven for invasive species. (Dont ask me how I ended up in a damned rust belt after spending most of my life in Florida and California) Many of the exotic fish and reptiles people keep as pets can live there. Im not going to try and spell their real name but those armored sucker catfish that everyone has in their tanks all across the US are in the ponds and rivers there. Pretty much nothing eats them. Burmese and African Rock Pythons. Big South American arapaima, even black caimans.

I follow a dude on Instagram that walks around the glades every night and just pulls invasive species out.

They actually have two different classifications now. Non-native and invasive. The latter being detrimental to the environment.

Whats really wild about the pythons is you can trace the original outbreak to one small pet shop in South Florida that had to be abandoned during Hurricane Andrew. The shop was flattened and the snakes all just slithered away in the storm.

On the bright side lots of native species have made big comebacks since the mid 80s when I was a kid. Goliath grouper were nothing but a myth and now they have a short season for them. The bay has cleaned up so much since my youth, and it really shows in the species that have made a comeback there. Forcing the drag net boats further off shore helped a lot. American Crocodiles arent as rare as they used to be, Panthers have a healthy population too.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post: