View Single Post
Old 07-02-2023, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
It always seems like it’s the older crowd in the hobby that balks at synthetics - what gives ? 0w40 Mobil FS has zddp levels comparable to SD rated oil circa 1970 . Modern zddp formulas don’t brake down as much so not as much is needed . 0w40 Mobil is a thinner 40wt on the scale and sounds perfect for these engines . I’m torn between using it or a penn grade product that’s designed for cars that sit .
I'm 69, first used Mobil 1 (10W30) in my first new car in 1977, my 1976 Pontiac Ventura when stationed at the Pentagon.

When I got out of the service, I returned to MN and sold commercial insurance. One of my customers was the local Mobil jobber. I asked about getting Mobil 1 through him to save money, and he said he could get me a better price on the commercial grade application - Delvac 1 that he sold to the mining companies on the Iron Range in MN. Ended up running that in my daily drivers for years until I relocated and lost that option.

As stated earlier, I have used Mobil 1 in my GTO and the Camaro for decades with good results.

I initially used the 15W50 because that was the first oil that Mobile specified for flat tappet cams. But the FS 0W40 is a better option for my fringe season driving (or the occasional beautiful day in December through February) in Minnesota.

So nearly 50 years of using Mobil 1 or other synthetic oils... Not bad for an old fart....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ventura 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	615297  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post: