Thread: Retirement
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be 66 this summer and I'm very close to retirement, but have not hit the trigger yet. I'm a mechanical design engineer, so my work doesn't take a toll on my body. I'm also working from home 3 - 4 days a week, which isn't that bad.

As for the guys commenting on health care costs, they are right on the money. Until very recently, my wife worked part time and was covered by my employer's health care insurance. We looked at insurance costs for individual plans and Obamacare so I could go on Medicare, and they were horrendous. Because of our income, her insurance would have costs upwards of $12 - 15K a year, with high deductibles. I had planned to retire close to 65, but insurance costs kept me working. My wife went full-time late last year, so at least I don't have to worry about keeping insurance on her now.

I am signing up for Medicare very soon. Once on Medicare, I can retire any time I like. I hit my Full Retirement Age to draw Social Security early next year, which coincides when my wife turns 65 and can sign up for Medicare. So the end is in sight.