View Single Post
Old 05-15-2023, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I have the Pypes 2.5" x system on my 69 bird.

From the headers to the mufflers, the fit is excellent. The fit of the over-axle pipes leaves a bit to be desired.

I originally ordered my setup with the violator mufflers. It was cool at first but I grew really tired of the sound. It was blatty and always screaming at you. The RacePro's are supposed to be fairly tame until you step on them, then they get about as loud as the violators. Both of these mufflers will have a decently high pitched sound to them. The StreetPro's don't flow as well as the RacePro or the Violator, but will sound more like a traditional turbo muffler.

Ultimately I removed my violator mufflers in favor of a magnaflow muffler it it's place. They're virtually the same dimensions, so I was able to make that work easily. The magnaflow mufflers have a much smoother and rounder tone. Still probably not for everyone, but much more to my liking.

If you're after that classic muscle car sound, I'd stay away from the Pypes or Magnaflow mufflers in favor of a dynomax or flowmaster kit. Those will give you that more classic sound. The dynomax kits should flow around the same as the pypes kit with the streetpro mufflers.
So you put a dual muffler setup on an Fbody and not a transverse? I have no experience with the Pypes fitment on Fbodies in that configuration, only the transverse.

On the dual setups I've never used the Violators, just the name of those keep me away, lol. I do have the racepro mufflers on one dual exhaust setup here and they are actually extremely quiet behind a 350hp 327 with headers. On this particular car they sound more like a quiet turbo muffler setup. It is however a very long exhaust system setup with longer than normal tail pipes.

I had a magnaflow on a 4" exhaust setup years ago. That was loud everywhere all the time. I like the sound of them on a smaller 2 1/2" system though.

In other words, sound is really going to change depending on how you have the exhaust configured as well as engine characteristics. Just listening to the same SGF70 I posted above on 4 different cars, each has their own sound.
The Z I posted got even quieter when I grafted in the factory 2" 69 camaro style tail pipes for a stock appearance.

I've always liked the flowmaster sound but damn those things cost HP. Those chamber mufflers are just not that great for flow. They sure sound good though.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE