View Single Post
Old 04-22-2023, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wishing you great success. You'll be fine. Just make sure when you install converter that you have 1/8"-3/16" ( .125-.187) distance between the converter feet and the flex plate. Also make sure the pilot on the converter fits into the crank. Put a little grease on the pilot. Once you have the transmission bolted up to the block, and before bolting the converter to the flex plate, make sure the converter spins freely by hand. Pull the converter forward toward the flex plate and spin it by hand. There should be very little resistance.

Even before you install the transmission, test fit the converter against the flex plate. Check to make sure the flex plate bolts and not in contact with the converter. The pilot should install into the crank around minimum 1/8" - 3/16" past the chamfer on the crank. 1/4" is what my converter guy told me. The has to be room for the converter pilot to move back and forth inside the crank. This is something that is over looked alot of times.

I'm helping a friend who had a reputable company build him a converter that was suppose to be designed for a Pontiac and it turns out it was build for an LS engine so we were told. The pilot was binding in the crank and the feet were almost 1/2" from the flex plate when converter was installed.

Some info here also. https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads...crank.2156873/

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.

Last edited by chuckies76ta; 04-22-2023 at 07:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post: