Thread: Vacuum advance
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2023, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I hope this isn't a dumb question but as far as limiting the upper end of centrifugal advance and determining how distance of movement translates to degrees of movement... Can it be as simple as measuring the diameter of the distributor body and dividing by 360 then making a pointer from, say, a piece of wire properly placed and indexing it all?
Greg, I did what you suggested. Pumped with Mightyvac, marked at multiple vac levels, took a photo, then superimposed a degree wheel.

Is in line with my guesses from measuring displacement of the rod... the max definitely exceeds the 16 degrees expected for a B1. Hopefully I get to find out if it's too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
If you want to know the limit of the vacuum can currently, You can simply put your hand pump on the vacuum can while the engine is running while checking the timing at idle.

So if the initial idle timing is 12 degrees with no vacuum, pump up the can and subtract your initial and you'll have at least a rough idea.
I hope all this actually helps get mine running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
"A lot of screaming for a little wool said the farmer as he sheared the pig"

For most street driven cars just use the original or the B1 vacuum advance if the original is gone or broke, connected to whichever vacuum port suitable, then forget it.

Put the effort adjusting the carburetor idle/lowspeed and WOT circuits for todays fuels instead and you'll be rewarded.

JMHO
Amen... I hope the effort to understand and verify gets me to the next level.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1 Advance Measurement Assembled.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	607276  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: