Thread: Vacuum advance
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2023, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gonna stick my nose in the middle here for just a brief minute.

Everyone needs a good operational, accurate vacuum gauge. It’s an almost irreplaceable tuning tool none of us should be without. We’re going to need it to “check” these vac advance canisters regularly these days.

I guess two years ago Standard Ignition bought pretty much all the remaining competitors that were on the field selling ignition parts. As such they pretty much “rule the roost” now so to speak.

The factory info on all these vac advance canisters is historical fact and can easily be found. It used to be that the aftermarket manufactured their widgets awful close to the original part numbers/specifications they were offering replacements for. This is absolutely no longer the case.

GM/Delco still sells some vac advance units but here in the last 6 months , they have not been adhering to the original design specs as they once did. Theirs aren’t far off but they used to be so dependable about this one never really had to question it. The aftermarket??? Hell I don’t know what they’re doing anymore. It’s almost like selling spark plugs anymore where one plug number covers 6 heat range applications. How the hell does this work?????

Use the factory specs as a concrete guide but be advised one had damn well best be in the habit of checking with a vacuum gauge and timing equipment , what these idiots, and I use that term loosely are putting in these boxes.

It may be a direct cross to a factory equivalent number, but the smart money is to check and verify this.

Due to Covid, large scale takeovers, or what I don’t know… but folks please check this stuff these days. It’s a wild world out there these days.

That is all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun Tuned For This Useful Post: