View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Far as I know--and I am not an expert--is that you can interchange Aluminum and Magnesium in the same mold.

Iron required a dedicated mold. There's no pouring iron into a mold intended for Aluminum and getting a decent, usable product out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
We had a batch of steel hubs cast, made the molds myself.

If some of you feel so strongly about iron heads and believe there is a market - buck up and make them. You may however wish to talk to Jeff Kauffmann first.
There is an entirely skill level required to cast a cylinder head with water jackets and a multitude of required bosses than to steel hubs with no water jacket or required bosses. If you have ever watched a cast iron engine component master being assembled you would understand this, not to mention having access to a foundry to melt and ladle the required molten iron. Cylinder heads, blocks and cranks made from cast iron are REQUIRED to be made in a single ladling. For ONE cylinder head you are talking eighty (80) odd pounds of 2,700 degree liquid iron. How strong are you? Thirty years ago, I could pickup eighty pounds with one hand, but it wasn’t comprised of eighty pounds of molten iron. I wouldn’t even attempt it today. A ladling like this would require a heated ladle to keep the molten iron at its working temperature. Very few foundries have this technology available. Waupaca and other commercial foundries do, but they also have minimum piece requirements.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 01-31-2023 at 05:26 PM.