View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some very good points on both sides of this topic. I really can not imagine why a stock family sedan, pure stock , or contours pure stock numbers matching car owner would be interest in this at all. Get the heads the car came with and rebuilt them, and there is no worries about porting. Your ahead to rebuild the old heads.

My mention of the stealth looking head with identifier numbers was only to have the head look stock, and come with raised boss’s on the heads where the number would normally be. So when there becomes a CNC version of the head you can have the head ID number machined into the head. Only because part of the novelty of owning a Pontiac is having the identification number for your engine and year of the car. It isn’t a big deal, but part of what is missing on aftermarket heads for Pontiacs is they ALL scream out, look at me, I have aluminum heads. Other brands you can paint them and you can’t tell at all that they are aftermarket aluminum. It is a choice we don’t have for Pontiac’s.

Other brands can use some E heads for stock and super stock. It is very expensive to go that route because the port volumes are usually a lot more than stock was. If someone influential in the Pontiac world pushed the issue the bathtub chamber round port E head would not be very far from doing the same thing on a Pontiac.? Something I am missing there maybe? I think KRE and Edelbrock could have did that with their D ports if they would have went with an older chamber instead of their modern chambers. The case can definitely be made the if you were to due an iron d port head, it should have a OEM style chamber, plug location, stock valves and valve lay out.

Having the heads cast or machined off shore in the cheapest place possible would be extremely bad for the outcome.

As far as the guys wanting iron round ports or a focus on more available manifold or header options. I think aftermarket round port iron head needs to have the RA manifolds done along side it to make that work. D port exhaust on the center are a pain. No argument from me. All the D ports need subflange’s to move those center bolts further out like a round port. Beyond that, if these aftermarket D ports out flow round ports, is there something that round ports offer with are more desirable for most builds? There is a very vast difference in production numbers between round’s and D ports. I would think a reasonable priced high flowing iron d port, that checks most of the higher demand niche markets, at less than half the cost of most aluminum heads would have a fairly big market. But to navigate all those niche’s and ending up with a reasonable price product is asking a lot.

Last edited by Jay S; 01-29-2023 at 11:54 AM.